WASHINGTON, DC – SEPTEMBER 18: U.S. Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) speaks at a session during the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation’s 45th annual legislative conference September 18, 2015 in Washington, DC. Rep. Conyers spoke during a discussion on “Judiciary BrainTrust: In Pursuit of Policing and Criminal Justice Reform” (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
DETROIT (AP) — U.S. Rep. John Conyers — beset with allegations of sexual harassment by former staff members — announced Tuesday that he is retiring.
The 88-year-old Conyers made the announcement while speaking with Detroit radio talk show host Mildred Gaddis. He was not clear on when the retirement becomes effective. Conyers also endorsed his son, John Conyers III, to replace him in office.
“I’m in the process of putting my retirement plans together,” he said from a hospital. “I am retiring today.”
“My legacy can’t be compromised or diminished in any way by what we’re going through now,” Conyers added. “This too shall pass. My legacy will continue through my children.”
Michigan State Sen. Ian Conyers, a grandson of John Conyers’ brother, told The New York Times for a story Tuesday that he plans to run for the 13th District congressional seat.
Conyers, who was first elected in 1964, easily won re-election last year in the heavily Democratic district. But following the mounting allegations of sexual harassment, he has faced growing calls to resign from colleagues in the House, including House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi.
Rep. Conyers’ attorney, Arnold Reed, has said Rep. Conyers’ health would be the paramount consideration in whether he decides to step down from his House seat. He has already stepped aside from his position as ranking member of the House Foreign Affairs committee.
Rep. Conyers returned to Detroit from Washington last week and was hospitalized on Wednesday, Nov. 29, after complaining that he felt light-headed.
The House Ethics Committee has been reviewing allegations of harassment against Rep. Conyers.
On Monday, Dec. 4, a woman who said she worked for him for more than a decade said he slid his hand up her skirt and rubbed her thighs while she was sitting next to him in the front row of a church.
Read more in The Call!
By Eric L. Wesson Sr.
CALL Staff Writer
Eyebrows are being raised throughout the black community over an aggressive stance by the unions concerning the construction of the single terminal airport.
Voters, including those in the black community, supported a mandate that the project would be inclusive of minority and women owned businesses not exclusively union.
In a memo to the City Council from the Unions presented by Joe L. Hudson, Political director / Contractor Relations St. Louis – Kansas City Carpenters’ Regional council, stated, “Their (Edgemoor/Clark team) proposal was completely unreasonable and demonstrated to labor that they wished to leave labor exposed to possible worker abuses on this important project.”
Hudson contends that by being a 100 percent union project it allows an avenue between an employee and Clark Construction in case of a grievance.
He also stated in his memo, that the Building and Construction Trades, the Builders Association and the Carpenters were all on the same page. That claim is odd considering that a large part of the Builders Association membership is non-union.
However, being a 100 percent union project would virtually eliminate minority and women owned business participation in the $1.3 billion project.
The relationship between some unions and the black employees have been extremely troubled. Black employees have always complained that they get hired by construction companies and wind up sitting on the bench, while their white counterparts go from one job to another.
In 2017, there may be 75 blacks who have risen to the level of journeyman in all of the city’s unions combined. Most would be in the Pipefitters union.
THE CALL has interviewed a number of black contruction workers who belong to the union who still have to go out of town to find work.
Read more in The Call!
By Diannah Watson, BlackAmericaWeb.com
The city of St. Anthony, Minnesota that was responsible for hiring an officer who shot and killed a Black man during a traffic stop reached a settlement with Philando Castile‘s girlfriend and daughter who were in the car during the incident.
CBS News reports, on Tuesday, Nov. 29, the city council voted in favor of paying Diamond Reynolds and her 4-year-old daughter $675,000. In addition to that, she will receive $125,000 from the League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust and the city of Roseville where she was taken by police.
According to officials from the city of St. Anthony, Reynolds filed a complaint in Ramsey County looking for monetary damages from the shooting. Earlier this month the city met with Reynolds were they agreed on an amount.
“If we don’t approve this and we go ahead with litigation, it would just reopen the whole case again and bring heartache to everyone involved,” explained Mayor Jerry Faust. “It is best to settle, and this will resolve all civil litigation stemming from the incident on July 6, 2016, and it opens the door to continued healing within our community.”
Castile was driving in Falcon Heights when a St. Anthony police officer pulled him over and shot him after he told the officer he was armed. Reynolds streamed the aftermath of the shooting live on Facebook.
Officer Jeronimo Yanez was acquitted of manslaughter and other charges.